Asia Pacific Futures Network Virtual Conference 2020
Regenerating Asia 2050: Using Futures Literacy to Transform Governance, Culture, and Economy
November 19-21, 2020
How might the futures of governance, culture, and economy look like from an Asian point of view? With its dizzying heterogeneity, can Asia grow coherently into the future? Can Asia curate a regenerative future in a post-pandemic or better yet post-normal world? How might that look like?
The global pandemic has disrupted the way policy-makers, researchers, decision-makers, business leaders, innovators, and strategists perceive and envision the future today, can Asia learn better, embed culture and use futures literacy to transform ways of knowing, imagining and creating alternative, preferable and emergent future worlds? What has changed, or perhaps what has emerged within the field and practice of foresight? Has the Asian way of learning and doing anticipatory thinking and governance arrived?
For the past several years, the Asia Pacific Futures Network (APFN) has explored and unpacked diverse themes and topics shaping the futures of Asia. Professional futurists, future-oriented think tanks, universities and institutions from the Philippines, Taipei, Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, South Korea, Kazakhstan, Bangladesh, Iran, China, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, etc. have presented papers, shared case studies and pioneered participatory futures tools and methods to deconstruct, anticipate, and re-imagine the communities of futures thinking practices, education, leadership, the fourth industrial revolution, digital economy, decolonization, power and security systems in Asia. New insights and concepts, conversations, foresight programs, projects, initiatives, and actions came out of these conferences.
Previous APFN conferences were hosted and chaired by the Graduate Institute of Futures Studies at Tamkang University, The Science and Technology Policy Institute of South Korea, The National Innovation Agency and Change Initiative in Thailand.T
This year’s gathering will be a full three-day virtual conference. Chaired and hosted by the Philippine Futures Thinking Society (PhilFutures), the 6th Asia Pacific Futures Network Conference seeks to explore and accentuate:
- Case studies and presentations that demonstrate how futures literacy has influenced decision-making, planning, leadership and policy processes i.e., government, corporate, civic, non-government, communities, etc.;
- Perspectives, provocations, viewpoints, and visions of a regenerative Asia or a regenerative society in a post-pandemic or post-normal world;
- Sharing of new futures thinking concepts, tools, methods, processes, and innovations in foresight through virtual action-learning workshops, games, and talk sessions;
- State of the Future in Asia – preferred, emerging and alternative future worlds;
- Collaboration, networking, and stimulate learning and exchanges between and among futurists, practitioners, policy-makers, decision-makers, planners, academics, and participants who are new to the field of futures literacy and strategic foresight.